The new series Rebel premieres tonight on ABC and we caught up with one of the stars, Ariela Barer, to learn more about her!
The 22-year-old actress plays Ziggie, a recovering teen addict, in the new series that is inspired by the life of Erin Brockovich.
Ariela is best known for playing Gert on Hulu’s Marvel series Runaways and she can also be seen in the Hulu movie The Ultimate Playlist of Noise.
Get to know Ariela with these 10 Fun Facts:
- I grew up in LA, raised by Mexican Jewish parents. I used to self identify as a Mexi-jew.
- I grew up playing piano, guitar, bass, drums, ukulele and briefly cello! Then I was in a punk band for most of high school where I played bass and sang.
- I recently wrote and directed my first short film Jelly about the exploitation of social movements for personal gain. Coming out sooooon!
- I’m a Scorpio rising which apparently “makes a lot of sense.” I’m a libra sun, but because it’s in my 12th house it’s not that present in my personality the way scorpio is.
- Some books I read as a teen that shaped who I am are From Margin To Centre by Bell Hooks and Letters to a Young Poet by Rilke.
Click inside to check out the rest of the fun facts…
- I recently learned I don’t know how to actually breathe. I used to breathe through my shoulders, but now I’m learning to breathe through my diaphragm. It’s helped a lot with anxiety!
- In quarantine I wrote an episode of the podcast ‘Day by Day’ called #Anabelleclarkeisoverparty. I got to direct Hari Nef, Jacob Batalon and Alisha Boe in a fictional narrative about celebrity culture in quarantine which was the most fun experience.
- I have an older sister, Libe who is also an actress and writer. She is a lot of what inspired me to pursue acting and now as adults we collaborate creatively all the time.
- Over quarantine I’ve watched over 200 movies according to my letterboxd account. Part of this adventure has been revisiting Ghibli movies in chronological order and watching Miyazaki’s work transform and grow with time.
- I used to drink 6 cups of coffee a day. I’ve gotten myself down to 3 a day which has had significant benefits for my health as well as my personality.
Make sure to watch Rebel on Thursday nights at 10/9c on ABC!